light reading


Early finishes at work call for celebratory magazines. From the sublime to the ridiculous - Vogue Paris' mammoth 90th birthday celebration issue and the January/February light as a feather Harpers Bazaar Australia. One is weighed down with lace masks and androgynous pantsuits and the other with so many gratuitous shots of Sydney beaches that you could mistake it as a tourism Australia ad campaign. Both of them have a bit of youthful vigour - Vogue Paris used Ines de la Fressange's 11 year old daughter in an editorial, Pierre Toussaint's 6 year old son Ollie was a feature in another in HB Aus (and bewitchingly listed "swordfights, Robin Hood, archery and the beach" as his favourite things in the contributors section). I'm sort of on a magazine buying moratorium considering my impending trip overseas and the need to conserve funds. But hey, I finished work early, I've been working straight for the past 5 days, and I needed a little pick me up. Nothing simpler, cheaper and quicker than a hit of Emmanuelle Alt's rock and roll glamour or the high sheen stylings of Jillian Davison and Christine Centenera. 

These are two of my favourite pictures. The first is Celine's birthday message to Vogue Paris. With my own anniversary looming in a matter of 11 days (11 days! wow! that sneaked up on me), I like to think this is a birthday cake that Phoebe Philo has baked especially for me. Why thank you, Phoebe. And the other shot? Well, it's just so ridiculous that it becomes sublime. Maybe because I've actually seen women walking along the main strip of Bronte Beach - or actually, more likely Parsley Bay or Neilson's Park, but who's counting - dressed up in their designer exercise gear, dripping in diamonds, pushing prams and keeping an eye on their long-haired children. This shot is so very Sydney it hurts, and I love it.

X
You have read this article australia / celebration / editorial / fashion / harpers bazaar / holiday / me / photos / pictures / summer / sydney / vogue paris with the title light reading. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2010/12/light-reading.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...