set me down


My favourite scene from Sofia Coppola's Somewhere. Those perfect days when you can still goof off with you dad, and you spend the whole time just mucking around, like nothing else could ever happen. Accompanied by what is still one of my favourite songs, after more than 5 years; The Strokes' I'll Try Anything Once. It was a demo track of what became one of their greats, You'll Only Live Once. And here, in it's fledgling form, you can get that sense of languid, slightly melancholic musing that i always associate with the Strokes. Maybe it's the way that Casablancas drawls out his words when he sings, or that tinny synthesizer that accompanies this tune. And it is perfect, perfect in this scene, rolling along while the camera pans out so slowly it's almost painful to watch. Why? Because in this moment Johnny is making decisions that will change his life. Is this joyful play between father/duaghter something that will stay with him forever? Or is it just another meaningless passing of the time? Who knows. But at the very end of this scene, when Cleo explains the plot of Twilight to Johnny, everything just seems so perfectly formed, I can't believe that it's all fake.



The Strokes - I'll Try Anything Once

X
You have read this article family / films / inspiration / movies / music / sofia coppola / summer with the title set me down. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2010/12/set-me-down.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...