land of the ice and snow

yvan rodic

When I was in Year 6 we had to this project at school where we explored a foreign country. For some reason unbeknownst to me still I chose Iceland, and buried myself in facts and figures about this Northern European nation (first country with a female president! highest literacy rate in the world!) for a blissful fortnight. For the presentation day we got to dress up in our country's national dress. I went to my dad's drawers and borrowed one of his hideously 80s lurid knitted sweaters in a melange of bright, scandinavian colours and wore that with leggings. These pictures from Yvan Rodic's travel diary bring it all back, and reinforce my conviction that the national dress of Iceland is a cosy, hand-knitted sweater. I love how clean and fresh and clear the country looks here. I'm a city girl - not in a Carrie Bradshaw, won't-go-to-Aiden's-country-cabin kind of way - but I definitely like my creature comforts. But that doesn't mean that I can't appreciate a bit of sky and cloud and earth and sea. How green is that grass, how blue is that ocean, how white those clouds! But then, here's the real rub, those clouds are purple too, and that grass is yellow, and that sea is grey. I love it. Nature has the most glorious habit of being able to stun you, sometimes. Normally the face hunter's blogs are filled with pretty girls out clubbing and showcasing their rings/tatts/glasses of bourbon/boobs. I'm not going to lie - rugged fjords and fresh-faced blonde beauties make for a very nice change.

X
You have read this article colour / europe / knitwear / me / photos / pictures / school / travel / weather with the title land of the ice and snow. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2011/07/land-of-ice-and-snow.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...