on greener grass, among other things

 garance dore

Everyone always says that, in matters of hair, you always want what you can't have. Girls with straight hair dream of curls, and the ones with the ringlets desire it to be whip-sharp like a poker. That's why both curling irons and GHDs - why both hair dye and bleach - are popular in equal measure. Hair has been a neverending battle (I guess some would say "lifelong love affair") of mine. I started with a bob and a fringe, which I decided to grow out a la Alexa Chung, which then ended up in my current state, hair that is very, very long and in much need of a change. I boomerang back and forth - keep it long, cut it short, go blunt, go layered, get more balayage, grow that bad boy out - and I think I bore my friends with endless chatter about it. The problem is that I genuinely believe that hair is the anchor of good style. Healthy, lustrous locks complete outfits in a way that an accesory can. As all the best - and cheesiest - hairdressers expound; You wear your hair everyday. yeah yeah yeah. 

My current hair obsession involves cutting it. I cycle through these desires every now and then, and they usually coincide with seeing something on a website that inspires me to either, pick up scissors or grip onto my hair and protect it from them. These girls from Garance do nothing for my current hair state of mind. Those too-long, in-between-hairdresser-visit lengths that hit just below the shoulder and that ruffled, tousled texture is exactly what I want my hair to look like at the moment. I even love Kym's balayage, subtle and easy to wear, it looks like she was born with it. Kym's hair is probably more of the length and style that I want. Though I love the first girl's hair I think that you need more curls to make that look work. I have a subtle, but nonetheless present wave to my locks that is quite similar to Kym's. I also have balayage but it much more blonde. I remember what it was like to have that length, how to style it, what I had to do to take care of it, how it worked with my face shape...  I remember reading an article by Plum Sykes about that new hair length and how it opened up possibilities in her wardrobe. I have noticed recently that super long hair such as mine does impact upon the clothes you wear. I rarely wear it out, but rather in a half up-half down style with most of it bunched in a pull-through pony at the top of my head. When I do wear it down I hate the heaviness and the heat, as well as how my ends are unhealthy (nobody's fault but mine, though). But I also hate how it looks with clothes. It just looks... weird. As if it shouldn't be there, hanging over my shoulders like an ugly scarf. Maybe it's the cut, maybe it's the layers, but my hair tends to hang them, boringly, with very little to it other than sheer volume. I feel like - since I have had that just-past-shoulders length of hair before when I was growing out my bob - I could do it again quite easily, and it would be so much easier to "wear", such as it is.

The only problem is, that when I had that length of hair I hated it. I thought it was tired, that I couldn't do anything with it, that it was like the rough, unwashed version of Gwyneth's Paltrow's SuberBob and it didn't work with my style. I desperately, desperately wanted something else. I wanted long hair. Like I said, you always want what you can't have.

X
You have read this article garance dore / hair / inspiration / me with the title on greener grass, among other things. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2011/07/on-greener-grass-among-other-things.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...