keep it together



"My wardrobe is not actually that organised, but I do keep outfits together, with the hat and all. I usually work an outfit around what accessories I'm wearing so I always have my hats out on display. The clothes come second."
Maryam Kehani

It's something to think about, isn't it? Does how you store your clothes mean something? I have to say, mine are lumped in my closet, not according to colour or utility or high rotation and use, but rather to the way I was feeling on the day that I set my wardrobe up ("I'm going to put this coat here, another in the middle, then my two blazers to the left there, and a tee shirt in between to break it up, etc etc). The shelf above my hanging space was categorised into "bottoms", "tops" and "knitwear" (a category all its own), but due to my frantic morning routine has become reminiscent of a jumble sale at my local charity store. My shoes are scattered around my room, discarded after use. It's all very unintelligent and distinctly not chic. At all. What does that mean? That I don't take pride in my style? That I'm unorganised? The funny thing is, is that I understand my style pretty well. It doesn't take me a long time to get dressed in the morning, it just takes me a long time to get "ready" in the morning, if that makes sense. I'm not high maintenance, but I do require much coaxing to get out of the bed. I do not like the mornings at all. In terms of outfits, I have a few that are on high rotation that I can rely on if the little planning or ideas that I have in my head don't work. I often wear all of those staple outfits at least once every fortnight (there are 6) and possibly twice. Then there are 3 or 4 that use my favourite pieces with other, lesser loved items that are usually reserved for washing days. I don't like those as much and try to limit their use.

So, it bears thinking, wouldn't it be better to store things by outfit and style? I don't plan my outfits by accessories, rather I have staple accessories that I just add to every outfit and rarely change, so that wouldn't be the reason. But I kind of like this idea of pairing things together based on how they work with other items. I have it already in my mind, those 6 great hero looks hanging up there, just ready to go without a thought. The matching shoes underneath them. Then the interchangeable basics on the shelves above, according to colour (and utility) so I can pick and choose where necessary. In Summer I would just switch out the coats and throw in my warm weather looks - linen pants, sandals, tee shirts. I imagine you need some interesting hangers to make this work. And I would need to clear out the crap at the bottom of my wardrobe - I think there are my notes from uni in there somewhere - and commit to keeping things tidy. No throwing things back if I change my mind, no rifling around as I search for the right top. It would be calm and collected and grown up. 

My question is, do you think that you would get bored of it after a little while? Like maybe you woudl wake up one day and look at the outfits hanging up and go, "I do not want to wear ANY of this today". For me, these situations usually mean that I have the exact idea of what I want to wear in my head anyway, so I just have to spend time rummaging around in my drawers to find the various pieces and putting them on. Maybe, just maybe, if I like it enough, it will get it's own hanger, accessories and all.

X
You have read this article clothes / clothing / fashion / hats / inspiration / photos / pictures / wardrobe with the title keep it together. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2011/07/keep-it-together.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...