Summer Wardrobe Planning


Funnily enough a couple of the things I wanted to put on my Summer planning list I picked up while in Europe. They were in the midst of bright and sunny July, and who could blame me for picking up a light scarf and some navy blue sandals? For this Summer my purchases are a little skewed, and of course compiling this in the middle of winter means that the obligatory off-season purchase has crept in. I think that I am getting to the point though that I should buy the things I love, regardless of their perceived "relevance" to the season I am in, because of travel and weird weather patterns this is becoming increasingly unimportant. I have most of my summer wardrobe staples already - oversized tee shirts, jersey skirts, sandals (k.jacques and apc oh my!), so I'm trying to build up the classic, yet still trendy pieces that will make my summer outfits interesting along with my loose knitwear and all that. This Summer I am focussing on building up my fine jewellery collection, nailing that fedora once and for all, getting the perfect pair of baggy linen pants, and a calf-length, oversized shirt dress in a loose, breathable fabric. How specific!


1. A black fedora with a stiff, semi-wide brim, in felt. 


My search for the perfect hat continues. I'm being so fussy about this particular item, and luckily I've stuck to my guns and I know that the perfect one is out there somewhere. This is exactly what I want, but because I have a big head (har har) I'm wary of purchasing online in case it doesn't fit. Then again, this bad boy is only $15 so perhaps it's not too much of an issue in the end. I know that a felt hat is probably not exactly the most useful thing in summer time, but a hat is a hat, right? My mum's always been super serious about sun-safety because she's very fair. I'm darker (thanks Dad), and instead of burning I get tan, but my recent holiday in Hong Kong and Europe has left me with a whole raft of new freckles on my face. I think this summer will be the time to wear hats more.


2. A pair of  navy blue and/or black linen pants, slightly oversized, tapered, possibly cropped


After a lifetime of devotion to skirts I've recently gotten into pants. In a big way. Mostly hybrids of the harem genre, which ended up looking a bit stupid on me, that are loose and a little bit oversized, so that I can stuff my hands in my pockets and run around a bit and not worry how it looks. These would look so good with my ankle boots, or my converse sneakers that I've made a pact to wear more of this summer (with bare legs and skirts or pants with the cuffs turned up), or with my strappy k.jaques sandals that actually go with everything. Collared shirts tucked in, tee shirt left out, knitwear half in half out.. the possibilities are endless with pants like these. For Aussies, I've seen similar greatness of the trew-variety at Bassike and by Poe, Poepke's in-house line. Too easy.


3. A loose, calf-length (at least), slightly oversized shirt dress in a material that breathes 


The desire to wear long-ish, loose dresses always coincides with summer. something super simple that you can just belt and chuck a cardigan over, and add sandals too and have that be an outfit. I love skirts and tee shirts and knitwear, but nothing beats dresses for pure simplicity and ease. I just got my 21st dress - it was love at first sight, and it's very exciting because I'm not really a dress person, but much more on that later, I promise! - and I guess I'm in an easy, breezy kind of mood. What I actually want is a dress exactly like this one. Any ideas?


4. Delicate, fine jewellery - of all kinds


I picked up a couple of little things at Merci, COS and Isabel Marant to add to my jewellery collection, but as always I'm on the hunt for more. I still need a couple of flat, disc-like pendants. I'd love one with an astrological etching on it, I've seen some beautiful ones around Paddington. A pendant with the letter H stamped into it or laser-cut would also be really cute I think. I could even get two and have an R one as well (how trendy!). Another thing I'm really liking the look of is the thin, circular pendant. I saw a lot of these in Paris at the little jewellery stores that dot the Rue Vielle du Temple, some in stone (like a thin, milky jade), some in metal, some in wood. I'd really like some of those. Oh oh oh and I've been wearing earrings again ever since I got gifted some cute little Karen Walker studs from the lovely ladies at Pretty Dog. And that jordy askill ring that everyone has, but I still kind of love. Yeah, any/all of this. I'm aware that it's more than 1 "purchase" but it's sort of like a genre? Right? Haha.


5. Something ridiculous and off-season because of the way that Australia gets the seasons out of whack but you have to have because it's so damn amazing, it's kind of like that inextricable desire - notes to a mouse and dead fleurette know what i'm talking about - for the alex wang sweater: the Isabel Marant Idea Coat (pictured here: jacket)



I said this was like the minty wang from last season, but in actual fact this is a much more useful purchase. I actually prefer the coat version, not the jacket. It's a tiny little bit longer but still retains that boxy shape that I love. The sleeves can be rolled up, the colour is divine (I think burgundy red is my favourite colour) and it's blissful against neutrals. Okay, tick tick tick. Negatives - I don't really need another coat. I think I do as I survey my wardrobe and moan that I have nothing to wear, but in actual fact I have heaps. Another negative - it's unlined. That's good for summer wear but makes it less practical for winter. Although, the Australian winter is milder for sure. Also - I don't really need to shop at the moment or need to buy anything. I just came back from a great trip where I bought loads of lovely things. But, here's the rub. I kind of want to. 

I did make the resolution last time I consulted my Winter Wardrobe Planning list that I would give in more to impulse. Not the impulse where you just want to spend money. But the impulse that you get when you see a beautiful item, the feeling you get in the pit of your stomach as you plan all the outfits that you'll wear it with. I'm on the fence here. Stay tuned.

X
You have read this article bracelets / clothes / clothing / coats / hats / inspiration / isabel marant / jackets / jewelry / necklaces / pants / rings / shopping / summer / want with the title Summer Wardrobe Planning. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2011/07/summer-wardrobe-planning.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...