the key

celebcity

This post on Lin's fantastic blog Out of the Bag really resonated with me today. She was talking about personal aura and the ability to be comfortable in yourself with certain looks, despite other people feeling the need to disparage your comfort, happiness and ensuing self confidence. My style is primarily about comfort and ease. I wear a very similar look almost 90% off the time. It's all about oversized knitwear and baggy trousers or long skirts. Ashley Olsen influenced, natch. Occasionally there will be the odd glib comment or snide remark, but it seems the older I get the more I can let these just run off my back and not affect me. It used to really upset me the way people talked or spoke about my style - even recently, when a friend commented that I needed to get some more jumpers as I seemed to only wear one particular style. 

The Olsens get those kind of comments a lot. It can be hard to read their tfs thread because of the things that people say and the way they talk about them. There seems to be two different camps - one who prefer Mary-Kate and Ashley "back in the day", that is, denim cut offs and sharp white tees and gladiator sandals and balenciaga city bags - and those who quite like their style now. I fall firmly and very much squarely into the latter category. Their style now is inspiring in a way that it has never been for me. They have always been interesting style celebrities for me, but now I see them and I not only appreciate what they wear, but I actively want to copy it. I've talked about this previously here. But what I find most inspiring about Ashley and Mary-Kate is the way that they don't let any style talk get to them. Regardless of what people say they continue to wear things and style themselves in a way that makes them happy without a second thought to the naysayers. It takes supreme self-confidence and a very thick skin (no doubt cultivated by being in the public arena since they were little babies) to be able to do that. If it upsets me if the odd friend mutters something a little bit rude in my presence, can you imagine what front page tabloid stories would do to you? I take a lot of confidence from watching Ashley Olsen go about her life as a serious business woman involved in a big design company in the manner that she desires and enjoys. I think that is the key to great style - wearing what you want without a thought to other people.

I hope that, even if I don't get that Kelly bag, or that Louis Vuitton leopard print scarf, I can emulate the Olsen Twins and revere them as style "icons" in the way that they carry themselves in the world of fashion. It can be very tempting to follow trends and succumb to that voice that follows you around saying that you need to "vary your look" or "wear something more interesting" than a jumper and a skirt. But I like doing it, and that here is the material point. Style should always be about what makes you happy. I hope to always remember that.

X
You have read this article ashley olsen / clothes / clothing / fashion style / knitwear / long skirts / me / photos / pictures / writing with the title the key. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2011/07/the-key.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...