a little bit fancy



I love costume parties. Even when I inevitably end up as Marie Antoinette, I still get a kick out of dressing up for things in a slightly wild manner - be it ball gowns or bears. This weekend I've been invited to a Disney themed party. I also happen to love Disney. I was that girl who, at aged 15, was enjoying things like movie marathons with best friends after saturday sport watching Aladdin and beauty and the beast and sleeping beauty... When my friends and I divvied up the princesses - the blondes were always Aurora or Cinderellas, the brunettes Belle, the red heads Ariel - I was landed with Mulan. Just because I'm Chinese! What I really wanted to be, however, was Pocahontas. Still one of my favourite Disney films (I even own the soundtrack!) I have always loved the story of Pocahontas. Even separate from the romance I love that sense of adventure and discovery and the new. It's no surprise that today I love reading ethnographic history and new world discoveries. That water, water everywhere and blue horizon and golden, hope-filled skies. I really can't wait to dress up as her, turquoise beads and feathers and all this Saturday.

The only thing is, what to wear? Should I go classic, Disney princess pocahontas (and the theme is Disney after all), or the decidedly un-Disney, epic film The New World Pocahontas, complete with feathers in hair and lots of earthy browns and middle part? The natural, carefree part of me is leaning heavily towards the latter, with a nice oversized oatmeal poncho over a long brown skirt, strappy brown sandals and loads of turquoise jewellery and knotty, messy hair. I love how earthy and simple the costumes are in The New World - one of the most underrated films, surely? - those simple off the shoulder tunics, the leggings, the beaded hair. Very earthen, natural and powerful. And besides, I think it would be easier to put that outfit together than it would be to find a perfect pocahontas costume (complete with that necklace) at such short notice on such a small budget. 

X
You have read this article celebration / clothes / costume / films / history / me / movies / outfit / outfits / party / photos / pictures with the title a little bit fancy. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2010/11/a-little-bit-fancy.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...