metal heels



Everytime I go up to the David Jones shoe section, I always surreptitiously have a glance at the Celine shoe section. Among the litany of Christian Louboutin pumps and Jimmy Choo strappy sandals there is a little section - very, very little, mind - that celebrates the architectural design and restrained vision of designers like Raf Simons at Jil Sander and Phoebe Philo at Celine. These strappy sandals are not the clunky clogs beloved of editors everywhere. They are not the low-heeled boots of the winter collection that signify classicism and minimalism in the extreme, with just a hint of luxury - that gold tipped heel. Oh no, these beautiful, infinitely sexy shoes with a curved metal chunk of a heel and barely-there, buttery smooth leather straps are the works of art Philo first chose to signify her return with. These are the shoes from the resort collection. If you remember that resort collection (maybe only because i never stop talking about it), you'll remember those shoes paired with everything from tweedy skirts to khaki tunics, tapered silk pants and tailored jackets with mis-matched collars. They were the perfect foil to whatever Philo sent out, and they looked great with everything. In other words: the perfect shoe. A shoe that could work just as well with a casual skirt-and-shirt look as it does with a sexed-up evening outfit. 

style.com, tommy ton for style.com

A shoes that works just as well with rolled up, cuffed and all jeans as it does with satiny-sheen evening gowns. A shoes that mixes the sex of leather with the utilitarianism of metal, with the minimalism of barely-there design. They don't look like they'd be easy to wear - look at this poor woman's reddened feet, but then again, what is that wonderful fashion cliche? Beauty is pain, or something of such sort? I hate to invoke it, but I think it is well applicable here. They look like taxi shoes - the kind that require a taxi to drop you between destinations, whether it be from dinner date to party or from harvey nichols to liberty... I am on a no spending spree right now. That's right - I'm not spending a single cent. Even though I've found the perfect copy of that first Celine skirt from the resort collection (and also seen here on Giovanna Battaglia) with deep pockets and a slightly scalloped hem. Even though there are some wonderful books out that I'd love to read. Even though I'm dying to get my hands on a box set of the first season of Mad Men. Even though the new December issues of magazines are being freshly air-freighted to Australia as we speak (for the mere, measly price of $25 a pop). Oh no, I'm not spending any money. Not until I buy my plane ticket overseas, and then I might treat myself for being such a good saver. So until then, I'm just going to stare at these from afar, loving them, wishing for them. 

Maybe for christmas?

X
You have read this article celine / editorial / fashion shows / me / money / phoebe philo / shoes / shopping / street style / street-style / travel with the title metal heels. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2010/11/metal-heels.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...