it's here!


I-D August 2008, Pierluigi Macor/Anastasia Barbieri

That Organic by John Patrick trench coat that it seems like everyone - well, maybe just me, Talisa and Georgia, but still - have been waiting for has finally landed at My Chameleon. It's perfect in so many ways, but here are a few. It has a beautiful line that drops from the shoulder, it's oversized, and it is that perfect, perfect trench coat shade of milky tea. What could be better? And it is on my summer shopping list, you know (it even made it through the revision!). The perfect trench coat has eluded me for so long - and I still despair that when I did have it, a vinnies find and a steal at $10 I let my trend-driven self CHOP THE SLEEVES OFF to make a sleeveless trench (why WHY did I do that, WHY?). This one is shaping up to be the long-awaited replacement, perfection personified for someone who has just been making do for so long.

In my crime history class we've been learning about the origins of the private detective, and the perils of the modern city. There are a few things that I have always wanted to do, purely for drama or image's sake. The first is to catch a train to Russia up through China and drink vodka martinis in a gilded dining carriage with a plate of caviar. The second has something to do with expensive hotels and fast cars but the third is totally achievable, and soon! It would be to wear a trench coat with the collar upturned at night-time. Sure, Sydney is no downtown New York or windy Chicago, but looking the part is half the battle, really. I used to have this book that charted the history behind 10 of the most iconic pieces of clothing - the LBD, the red lipstick, the high-heeled shoe, the denim jeans - and, of course, the trench coat was one of them. I loved reading that chapter, of mice and men and Audrey Hepburn kissing George Peppard in the rain. I'm a bit hesitant to link to this, but I can't believe that it's been almost 3 years (a long 3 years, so long) since I wrote this post about the trench coat. How things change and how they stay the same!!!! It's funny re-reading things you wrote, especially about items of clothing that you are still interested in seasons later. 18 year old me was all about the glamour, the excitement, the mystery of the trench. I thought I had grown past that, with my sensible shoes and my comfy clothes and my boring, casual style. But then I just re-read the paragraph above and it would seem that I haven't. Maybe that has to do with the trench coat itself? That it's the type of garment that inspires a little bit of imagination? And that only makes me want one more.

X
You have read this article coats / dreams / jackets / money / my chameleon / shopping / want / wardrobe with the title it's here!. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2012/09/it-here.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...