mix master

I like colours. A lot. Nothing makes me happier than seeing flashes of saffron-hued brilliance and schiap pink on a drab and dreary day. I also like the new neutral palette - camels and toffees and caramels toned down and tuned in. I like the way neutrals make everything crystal clear. Sure, you can hide behind ox-blood red and sky blue, but you can't hide behind taupe and beige. Neutrals lay everything bare and people notice things, like soap-scrubbed faces and scraped back topknots. You can't get away with much in a neutral outfit, but in colour, you can let your clothes do the talking for you. I find that when I wear colour people look less at my face than they do at my clothes. I'm not sure whether that is a good thing or a bad thing, sometimes that's what you need. 

I am a big believer in mixing things up. Anyone who's seen my movie tastes would know this. Only a girl who had no firm affection for a specific genre could enjoy - equally as much, mind - Amanda Bynes' What a Girl Wants, Matt Damon's The Bourne Identity, Kate Winslet's Sense and Sensibility and Robert Redford's Out of Africa. Eclecticism in taste runs into my wardrobe. While there is a common thread (ha, geddit? thread?) throughout my dress - if it's not a long skirt i'm not quite sure what it's doing in my wardrobe, it is manifested in different ways - minimalistic, over the top, 90s, preppy, hipster... You'd be hard pressed to force one specific 'label' over my head. 

So, that begs the question, is it possible to combine these two loves of colour and neutrals? Can you manage to pull off the bright, blinding, all encompassing drama of colour with the pared back minimalism of the new neutrals? Can you successfully create an outfit that encapsulates extravagance of colour and the calmness of camel? 

I think a splash of each, both ways, does the trick:


A SPLASH OF COLOUR:
splash of colour
hobbs coat, nollie tee shirt, oliver peoples glasses, the mania mania necklace, bex rox necklace, rick owens skirt, alkemie cuff, azzedine alaia shoes, celine bag, yves saint laurent ring. 
Untitled
ray ban aviators, opening ceremony dress, stella mccartney jacket, alexander wang bag, bex rox necklace, natasha collis necklace, aude leche necklace, acne shorts (underneath), chloe shoes, yves saint laurent ring. 







A SPLASH OF NEUTRAL:
Untitled
topshop parka, christopher kane  singlet, richard nicoll earrings, burberry skirt, topshop sunglasses, nicholas kirkwood sandals, proenza schouler ps1 clutch. 
Untitled
vanessa bruno blazer, richard nicoll tunic, bedstu belt,  jewels of the kalahari necklace, toywatch, john rocha skirt, pamela love cuff, nicholas kirkwood shoes, erdem sunglasses. 



You have read this article clothes / clothing / colour / photos / pictures / polyvore / shopping with the title mix master. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2010/05/mix-master.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...