sloppy joe



I'm going to a 'casual' themed 21st party this weekend. The last 21st I was at had an Abfab theme (and it was, thank you very much), but this one is themed 'casual'. As in, don't dress up. Don't wear heels. Boys - don't suit up, etc, etc. I'm generally not a 'dress up' kind of girl. What I mean by that is that I tend to wear whatever I want whenever I want in. Sequins in the day time? Fine. Thongs to a night club? Also fine, provided the bouncer doesn't take offence. Similarly - lary 80s floral blazer to a morning tea? Fine. Simple, dowdy even structured calf-length skirt to a formal dinner? Yes, please. I don't let rules about when and where you can wear certain items dictate when and where I do wear them. In the way of perennial bad boys the world round - I do what I want.

But faced by the request to 'dress casual' i am stumped. What is casual? What i would wear to uni? Well, on that count I know I can't use that marker - many times my friends have told me off for being 'too dressed up' for uni. Because I tend to wear whatever, wherever, there is no casual marker, and as such I can go from night to day (and vice versa) with little difficulty, but no real borderline. Casual for me has no real meaning anymore.

That's fine. Because I already have the perfect outfit that will surely satisfy all parties involved. I'm going to listen to Dries, and mix my textures and sillhouettes. The sporty utilitarian jersey with a swishy, fish-tailed evening skirt - their love child could only be that kind of smart casual outfit that is so tantalisingly elusive. This is why I love Dries. He takes ideas and turns them into wonderful, well-cut and winning reality. I don't have to even buy anything - I have all the elements in my wardrobe already. I said way back when I first saw the F.W 10.11 show that the Dries girl would dominate my thinking come winter. How she was everything I wanted to be, only better, taller, sleeker and oh so chic with her jumbo bag stuffed under her arm and her hand shoved in her pockets. It's the little things - the curved flick of perspex sunglasses, the scruffy updo, cuffed sloppy joe over a flash of peacock-y brilliance - that make the most impact.

Thankyou Dries, for pointing the way.

X
You have read this article clothes / clothing / dries van noten / fashion / fashion shows / me / party / photos / pictures / z with the title sloppy joe. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2010/05/sloppy-joe.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...