one, two, three






the sartorialist

The problem with sydney weather is that it can never make up its mind. often it will be cool, but not that cold in the day time, and then drop to sub zero temperatures in the night time. This poses a problem for night time dressing when the chill hits your skin and you need to wrap up, but unfortunately you ventured out to sunny uni in a skirt and flimsy little jacket. I don't feel the cold particularly, but I do like being warm. Odd, isn't it? Everyone is astounded that I love to travel to Europe or America in January and February. I live for the cold, biting air against your cheeks and the wind whipping up your hair. I am a firm believer that as long as you are adequately prepared, cold is no real enemy. 

For Sydney weather this means carrying an extra jacket in your bag. I discovered the secret to Sydney's trans-seasonal weather last year: the sleeveless coat. I've also fallen in love with the short sleeve coat, warm enough to cover the body but keeping arms free for work. The one I wear is by Opening Ceremony, nabbed for a steal at Lands End, and in glorious shades of burnt orange that mellow into blue and purple. It's glorious! I've taken to carrying an extra jacket in my bag, usually denim, to pop on under my coat when the sun falls and the night air starts to creep up. Paired with my usual checked skirt - structured and lined and oh so warm, and a bonds sweatshirt, my most-worn buy of recent times and some blingin' jewelry, I am now never, ever cold. In fact, I am quite warm. And wherever we are - 'casual' 21sts, parks, movie theatres, restaurants who think they are being alternative by having white-washed walls and no heating - I am rugged up and warm. Just add a scarf and red cheeks and I am the picture of happy winter-time dressing. 


garance dore in a short-sleeved coat, the sartorialist. 

This kind of layering has always been interesting to me. It's easy enough to layer tops and flimsy little cardigans. But to pull off 2, or even 3 jackets in the one outfit takes real skill. As I thought then, it's a tough line to tread, a line that brings layered chic so perilously close to scruffy bag lady. Too many jackets and you look silly, too few and you might look fine but you'll be cold. Girls who can layer correctly are often the ones who understand silhouette, texture, shape and cut the best. You can't but something big and bulky underneath something that is a little bit thin. You've got to counteract the bulk with more bulk, or indeed the opposite. That's why denim jackets work so well undercoats. Your old denim jacket is worn and comfortable like a second skin, and it will fit to your body underneath a coat which, by its very nature, is structured and hard and doesn't follow your shape as much as provide enough bulk to warm it. 

As I write this the rain is clouding up my window pane and everything is looking grey and grizzly. Such a sight would normally make me sad and want to curl up under covers with a cup of tea and a good book. But I am seized with the desire to wander about, all rugged up, and get things done - buy some fresh bread for my lunch, a bunch of flowers for my mum, a block of mazet chocolate for later. Let's see how I go!




Short sleeved coat and denim jacket



Untitled


opening ceremony coat, uniqlo sweat shirt, seven for all mankind denim jacket, lance belt, christopher kane skirt, richard nicoll earrings, cutler and gross sunglasses, wendy mink ring, celine bag, acne wedges. 



Long Sleeved Coat under Vest


Untitled


DKNY coat, jewels of the Kalahari necklace, richard nicoll dress, virginia johnson scarf, alexander wang vest, stella mccartney skirt, topshop sunglasses, proenza schouler ps1, ASOS boots, YSL ring. 



Sleeveless Coat over Leather Jacket


Untitled


all saints beanie, yves saint laurent sleeveless coat, bassike tee shirt, rick owens leather jacket, ann demeulemeester boots, acne skirt, fossil watch, kenneth jay lane necklace, ASOS glasses, chloe paraty bag.



X


You have read this article clothes / clothing / cold / fashion / layering / me / pictures / polyvore / street style / style with the title one, two, three. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2010/05/one-two-three.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...