questions to be answered

I am at heart, intensely curious. When I was young I was the girl who would go sticking her hands into holes in the ground to see what was there and opening up her toys to see how they worked. Nowadays that curiosity is manifested in a desire to know things about people - not in a nosy way, I hope, but in that way that sometimes confounds my friends when I pop a question like 'where would you like to live most in the world' out of the blue. I couldn't care less about who's going out with whom or whose parents just bought them a new car, but those ephemeral, peripheral things that can say so much about a person... they really interest me. In the same way that I love trawling through the archives of the selby and seeing the interior lives of people like sally singer, alexander wang and julia restoin-roitfeld. Sure, there is some hipster drivel on that site, but when isn't there even a scerrick of hipster drivel? What I like about the Selby is that he always mixes in some truly odd shots. It's not a typical 'Architectural Digest' spread. You've got the shots of fraying lounges, moulded mirrors and collections of toy robots... and then pictures of toilets, peeling wallpaper and exposed wiring. It's almost as if to say - hey, these glorious people have the same problems as you do... mostly.

one of my favourite selby posts, taken in, ironically enough, Sydney Australia (not Paris, France or London, England).

Anne Ryan, Aimee Bayliss and Nathan Smith, at their home in darlinghurst, Sydney.











Anyway, on that note, I've started a formspring. Whilst I might not go posting pictures of my own toilet, although, if pressed I might do that, I am happy to answer questions about whatever you throw at me, personal or impersonal, probing or brushing the surface. Because hey, even things that barely skim the top of the lake can expose what's underneath. 



X
You have read this article blogging / me with the title questions to be answered. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2010/05/questions-to-be-answered.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...