wicker while you work

Something I just cannot get out of my head at the moment is the basket. I seem to see it everywhere, girls coming into work with baskets hanging off their shoulder, someone down at the coin laundry heaving a basket against her hip, my parents setting off for the sunday markets with a particularly festive one (my mother is never one for subtlety, our basket is bright pink) in the crook of her arm. I want a basket, have wanted one for some time, but now i'm suddenly wanting to act on this urge. I want to sling it over my arm and head off into the world, filling it with mundane but beautiful things like broadsheet newspapers, fresh bread and birthday presents. I'm thinking it could even be the perfect uni bag - the elusive perfect uni bag - filled with text books and lecture pads it could even be kind of suggestive and chic in the manner of a french fille.





 I've never really considered Jane Birkin one of my style icons. I admire her style, but I've always been more interested in style that has a little something wrong about it - yasmin sewell's wild tangle of curls or taylor tomasi's ghetto fabulous array of mc hammer pants. Now i see that what offsets her wardrobe of pea coats and flared denim is the basket - never at home with any outfit, and yet always comfortable in all situations. She used to tote wicker baskets around as if they were a hermes birkin (pun intended, because she stopped with the baskets once she got the birkin). And it's taking me all my willpower to stop looking at these pictures and get off the computer.






Or maybe I've got chanel fever and all I want is to get some of that barnyard actions. Seeing as how I'm still dubious about the clogs (a 'wrong' element of style if ever there was one), I'm settling for something a little simpler, a little chic-er, might i dare to say? Well, who cares. All i know is that i want a basket, and I want one now. 




perhaps someone will send me alexa's chanel basket? perhaps? 

X
You have read this article chanel / fashion / fashion shows / france / jane birkin / paris / style with the title wicker while you work. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2010/05/wicker-while-you-work.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...