the littlest things



Yasmin Sewell is a real fashion icon. She's a got a big girl's job - creative consultant for Liberty London, my favourite department store - and an epithet as the buyer with the best taste and killer curls. She wears her designer threads, but she wears them over and over again, you get the sense that there is no room for impulse purchases and wardrobe overhauls from season to season (Anna Della Russo, I'm looking at you). And she does it all with a huge smile, a true Aussie in that sense.

It is hard to boil down Yasmin's style. Avant-Garde, I suppose, is the best, and easiest, moniker? It is a very Australian style - I would venture very Melburnian, even though she is not actually from Melbourne - she wears a lot of directional, black clothes, but she'll pair them with a shot of bright colour, or she'll wear traditional European silhouettes like tiered skirts or beaten Balenciaga leather jackets, but she'll pop on a tee shirt and some great baubles as well. She's got a style that is truly effortless, you get the sense that she doesn't spend that much time parading in front of mirrors and taking polaroids to test the light. She'll throw something on, see how it feels, and then on she rolls. I only wish I could spend less time worrying about my clothes and more time living my life, as she so obviously does. She must have so much fun, every picture I have saved to my computer shows her smiling from ear to ear.



pictures from wayne tippets, the sartorialist and garance dore


Lately I have been reaching for staple items in my wardrobe and not caring anymore. I used to worry - Oh i can't wear this, I've seen these people wearing this outfit already etc etc - but now I just don't give a damn. Is this the key to real style? is this the bottom line? I wonder, once you start giving up, is that when everything starts making sense?

Like Yasmin I truly believe in the littlest things make an outfit. When it comes down to it, everyone dresses quite similar, trends being what they are, and add to that the dissemination that occurs with the internet. It's what you bring to the table - or rather, the wardrobe - that defines true style. Yasmin brings her smile, her sense of humour, and her belief in the littlest things. Often what Yasmin wears will be quite, well, normal. But then you'll see the twist of a rolled up sleeve, the push of a neckline down over an exposed shoulder and the frayed edge on a denim vest. Something rough, something borrowed and something blue. Recently I've been thinking the same thing. Who cares if I'm just wearing a structured skirt and a loose fitting shirt if I roll up the sleeves, paint my nails a sparkly, trash-tastic 'disco-ball' glitter, and twist a belt around my middle? Lately my mind has been moving away from the 'big-ticket' items - like your statement shoes and your big-ass bags - and settling on things like fuzzy furry gilets, coral-coloured lipstick and jewelry that sets tongues wagging. 

The devil is all in the details. 

X
You have read this article clothes / clothing / fashion / street style / style / yasmin sewell with the title the littlest things. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2010/06/the-littlest-things.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...