wrap me up



Amy Kaehne look book, graphics done by my friend Talisa


Yes it's true, in spring and summer the minute the weather regains even the slightest hint of coolness I run to my closet and fish out a coat and wear it happily. I'm not alone in this. At the magazine I intern at there's a girl who owns one of those leather-sleeved Burberry trenches, and she steadfastly wore it last week despite heat and humidity because she couldn't part with it. I know the feeling. It's like bidding farewell to a best friend who's going overseas. But then, they can make a sudden reappearance again if the weather turns foul mid-Spring. Such a glorious thing has happened today. Peeking out the windows all I could see was an overcast sky and all I could feel was a crisp breeze and, it's true, these things make me very happy indeed. Out comes the shearling. Oh, its going to be a good day!

The weather has immediately made me think of Amy Kaehne's new collection for autumn/winter. The collection is a series of perfect juxtapositions - masculine and feminine, young and sophisticated. It's all in the two-tone jumper. It's all in the pairing of a beautiful hand-knitted silk sweater, artisanal and dainty, with a pair of hard-work cord trousers with deep pockets and cuffs turned up. I can't help but picture some of these things in my winter wardrobe next season. The oversized tweedy grey wrap coat, perfect over a rust-coloured sweater and a silky maxi skirt. The grey sweater with contrast navy blue neck, the perfect foil to tapered navy blue trousers and a man-style parka. The corduroy pants with a silky button down and a perfect burgundy coat. Perfect. I love this collection. A lot. It's that perfect cold-weather disposition distilled into clothing. Imagine yourself wrapped up in that corduroy jacket with contrast pockets, a big knit scarf and a pair of your comfiest pants, bowl of steaming hot soup in hand. Or the little Velvet dress with a twist tie paired with some beaten-in ankle boots, cross-legged in front of cups of milky tea and freshly baked bread. All those warm smells and warm food and warm things - what would winter be without its matching partners of tweed and wool and corduroy? They are classic french staples, but with an antipodean twist. It's a little more careless, a little more slouchy, a little more casual. Exactly how I like my clothes. I've already got my eye on the black/grey coat and the grey knit. I can't believe I'm thinking so far ahead for my wardrobe planning, but there you go. Add the Thursday Sunday two-tone sweater and you have at least three things I will be hunting down next season. Oh, but I wish I could have them now! It would be so perfect to wear them today, over a long black skirt with ballet flats.

Why can't it be winter all year long? 

X

ps. don't forget to enter my Maille giveaway! Closing on Friday :)
You have read this article clothes / clothing / coats / cold / colour / knitwear / shopping / style / winter with the title wrap me up. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2011/10/wrap-me-up.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...