high culture



Recently I've been a very good sister. I've bought my brother a kick-ass 18th present of a leather wallet. I prepared my other brother a great lunch last weekend of baguettes and his favourite: pannacotta. And I just spent days helping him on his art project about Jeff Koons. When he told me he was doing an art project on a modern artist I secretly crossed my fingers under the table that it would be Jeff Koons. Sure - Louise Bourgeois is nice (she's my best friend's favourite, actually, the spider statute which normally freaks out little kids brings her heaps of joy) but Koons is where its at.  Childish, fun and just a heaping of cheeky mischievousness. I love how he puts the balloon dog in a variety of incongruous places: the roof of the Met, the jardin in front of Versailles... the structures of high culture are broken down, artistic significance is mutated and Koons comes out on top. It's a matter of no small irony (and just a hint, once more, of adolescent cheekiness) that some of the people who pay millions for the classics now pay millions more for a koons. Just like fashion, last season's proenza schouler is just as important as vintage chanel as long as you really love it. Don't buy anything because it's "good" - buy it because you love it.

X
You have read this article art / family / me / New York / paris / photos / pictures / travel with the title high culture. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2010/09/high-culture.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...