singer stinger

the selby

There are few people I love in fashion more than Sally Singer. With incredible intelligence, grace and, of course, style, she has almost single-handedly made Vogue US a must buy for me. I mean, sure, Grace Coddington makes beautiful pictures, and I do like the Vogue Edits section at the back, but its the View fashion features that make it all worthwhile. I am a fashion features kind of girl. Unsurprising, right? I despaired when Georgie McCourt left Vogue Australia for Harpers (although I've been enjoying harpers ever more since then) and I love devouring whatever it is Sarah Harris conjures up at Vogue UK with a healthy dose of Harriet Quick, my original writing hero, on the side. I also like Avril Mair's tongue-in-chic style at Elle UK (watched over by Rebecca Lowthorpe's classic words). But for the past couple of years it has been Sally Singer, clear, clean and true, that has captured my imagination. She writes in a way that is purposeful and evocative yet still imbued with that hapless clarity that is so American-Vogue. Clarity that is american in their cover choices - from cookies and milk Blake Lively to iron-straight Gwyneth Paltrow - their editorials, their aesthetic, and, of course, their writing style. Sally Singer (and her deputies Mark Holgate, Florence Kane, Jane Herman before that, et al), writes in a way that is clean and clear. Everything is evident, if it isn't quite obvious. You see all sides of the square. Fashion is laid bare on the page. Vogue US' fashion features are unique in that way. Vogue UK has this sort of 'chic-er than thou' tone, elle uk has the 'buddy buddy let's shop and drink together' kind of older sister vibe... but Vogue US with its massive circulation and its reach to the average mom as well as the average fashionista speaks in a different way. Her fashion features are like so - 'This is fashion. It may not be easy, but it sure as hell shouldn't be hard. Wear it. Live it. Enjoy it.' 



It's a style that she carries into her personal life. When she was featured on the Selby I nearly died - her house is everything I want and more. Like a Carrie Bradshaw who is slightly more mature and slightly less saccharine, she lives at the Chelsea Hotel with her three adorable sons in shambolic glory. Her apartment with white walls, clean bookshelves and abstract art follows that same vogue US style - clean and clear with just a hint of sharp. Never accuse Vogue US of being soft. She dresses in her same way, I'm sure I'm not the only one who frantically rewound The September Issue trying to get a full length outfit shot of Sally's tulip skirts and layered cashmere cardigans. I'm definitely not the only girl who swooned last December while reading the article Sally wrote about the presents she was buying overseas at shows - "no expense spared" - for family and friends; everything from little italian ballet flats to paintbox imitation chocolates. What about that article where she designed a bracelet for Cartier - 4 links that could be worn separate or together representing her and her sons (too damn cute)! Or  The rumour that she's the best dressed girl in the office and everyone looks to her to decide what to wear - her tips: Tabbitha Simmons heels and drop waist dresses. All accessorized with her bike, ridden daily to and from the office and around New York city in a way that is far more, well, cool, than any East Village hipster. Because that's what she is. Cool. While hundreds of people around the world struggled to get their finger on the fashion pulse she was dictating it from the get go.




That's what I loved about Sally Singer, and that's what I'm going to miss about her. Already the September Issue felt strangely bereft without her directive touch. Mark Holgate has taken the reigns, and his style is similar, but not the same. I miss her, and seeing her "Bird of Britain' Alexa Chung article in this month's Vogue didn't help things. It just made me mourn for what I had lost. For us Aussies getting hold of T, the Style Magazine for the New York Times is going to be a hell of a lot more difficult than it is to get hold of Vogue US. But still, I've never met a magazine I couldn't find somewhere. And, being friendly with the local newsagents helps. Maybe they'll put in a personal order!


X
You have read this article fashion / magazines / photos / pictures / style / vogue us with the title singer stinger. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2010/09/singer-stinger.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...