star power



caroline's mode stockholm streetstyle

Alexa Chung lives a charmed life. Free clothes, great boyfriend, front row seats to fashion shows, a glass of makers mark and apple juice constantly in her hand. But, even when the going seems so damn good, it can be too much. Because with fame and celebrity comes the dark side - the interest, the fascination, the desire to know what brand of shoes she's wearing, where she gets her hair ballayaged, and from innocent questions to even more crazy; where did she go last night, who did she go with, who does she like, who does she hate, and can we get some photos of her looking like an idiot? It wouldn't be easy, not at all. But sometimes I think that the way Alexa deals with it - a sardonic, even slightly vitriolic comment to a reporter, a passive aggressive interview on a red carpet - is not quite the right way of going about the whole situation. I'm not famous, not at all, and so perhaps advice from me is a little trite. But I'm going to give it anyway. Fame is a fickle friend. She's great to be around when the drinks are flowing and the good times are happening, but when you're in the thick of it all she's your worst enemy. She's blurry tabloid pictures, rumour-mongering columns and paparazzi shoving cameras in your face. It can't be nice, and it must be hard to deal with. I'm not denying that. But maybe, just maybe, it is important to look at the big picture.

Everyone has bad days. Alexa just seems to deal with them by attacking the very people who made her famous. Like it or not, those same photographers, journalists and fans are the ones who built up hype around her, forged the interest in her, made her a household name. Without them, she wouldn't be Alexa Chung, she's just be Alexa Chung, and though it seems like that's what she wants sometimes, I don't think it is, really. Because it would mean the loss of the free clothes, the front row seats, the champagne lifestyle, the trips around the world, the dj gigs, the writing jobs. And, despite all our supposed "selflessness" we are a very selfish people, really, us humans. If I was famous I wouldn't throw it away. And if cameras were shoved in my face, if teenagers asked me to take a fan photo with them on a bad day, I might hesitate, but I would say yes. Because I'd be bloody thankful for every minute of my fame (and every pair of chanel shoes). But then, that's me.

You can read the interview that prompted this post here.

X
You have read this article alexa chung / celebrity / fame / me / photos / pictures / street style / street-style / writing with the title star power. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2010/10/star-power.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...