all about accessories

tommy ton for style.com, caroline's mode

I watched a really fun little video by Refinery 29 following Taylor Tomasi around her little shoebox apartment while she packed for Fashion Month. Tomasi has so much clothes she has to store them in the kitchen, in the lounge room, from curtain rods - she can't fit them all into her closet! One of the best things about the video was her showing all the shoes sitting on top of her microwave. For someone who lives in a veritable match box of a room (small does not even cover it!) any ideas about space are most welcome. What struck me most about Taylor was her packing philosophy. Essentially she said one thing: worry about the accessories and the rest will take care of itself. As a previous accessory editor at Teen Vogue Taylor knows all about the power of a good bag, scarf, cuff, necklace... They're her bread and butter! It's clear that when Taylor packs for fashion month she picks a few key clothing pieces that fit into the current trends - oversized fisherman jumpers, sequins for daytime, technicolour anything, kickflares, classic blazers and ripped denim. By repeating outfits or wearing pieces a couple of times over, Taylor ensures that she can have more space in her suitcase(s) for more exciting things, like Balenciaga booties, Proenza Schouler for Kirna Zabete exclusive PS1 clutches, chunky men's watches, cat eye sunglasses in delicious tortoise shell and rich black, armfuls of bangles, sheeny silver cuffs, heavy Assad Mounser necklaces, dog collar necklaces and everything else wonderful such as her beautiful wedding ring.

Should we focus on the accessories or on the clothes? Personally, I have a set of accessories that I wear everyday - jordy askill necklace, ysl ring, karen walker sunnies, maniamania cuff or immortals pendant, beige coloured ballet flats - it's something about the tradition, the routine of putting them all on in the morning and taking them off right before I go to bed. I'm not sure that I focus on the accessories, but it's certainly true that because they're so central to my whole getting dressed routine my clothes end up matching them - not the other way round. If a jacket doesn't quite match my cuff, I'd rather change jackets than change the cuff. I'm not even a big accessories person - I mean, I'm a big jewelry person, but when it comes to shoes and bags I really, really couldn't care less. But here's the thing, I think that subconsciously I plan my outfits around my accessories. I normally wear the same, if not a very similar thing all the time. Calf length skirt, some form of slighty oversized shirt or tee shirt in a raft of creamy neutrals, winter-y greys or mint greens when i'm dressing up. Add a jacket (anyone will do), and I'm good to go. It is in the area of accessories that I really do the style hard yards. I have mounds of necklaces, bracelets, rings and cuffs, all vying for attention. In the heels arena I have some quite spectacular bad boys who steal the show of a whole outfit. I even have some quite cool little clutches that, when I'm in the right mood, I don't mind tucking under my arm. Rotating them all around rather than desperately hovering in front of my wardrobe searching for a "new" outfit has served me well. I always complain that i have "nothing to wear", but what I mean is, I have no new or different accessories to jazz up my outfit.

From now on, I'm taking Taylor's advice. Worry about the accessories and the rest will take care of itself.

X
You have read this article clothes / clothing / fashion week / jewelry / me / street style / street-style / style / taylor tomasi with the title all about accessories. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2010/10/all-about-accessories.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...