blocks

images: ztylistas, lagarconne, celine prefall 2012, decade diary, portable, mandatory alexa chung picture



I, too, like Natalie, am waiting on the postman to knock on my door and proffer my Thursday Sunday sweater. I, too, like Natalie (incidentally that is one of my favourite "likes" if anyone was interested in my opinion), dream of the days where I can sit on the floor and drink red wine, smoke cigarettes while my nose gets cold and read books with a slice of ginger cake in my new sweater. I am dreaming of the days - soon, so soon! - where I can snuggle up in this sweater, watching the snow fall out my window after a day spent roaming Cobble Hill. I am dreaming of the days where uni blues will be completely, wholly washed away as I slip into this sweater, pop my lecture notes, copious biros and a crisp green-as-you-like-it apple into my bag and start walking up my street to the bus stop. How long have I wanted it! How damn long! And finally it's on its way, and it's almost, almost mine, and I can cross the first thing off my winter wardrobe planning list - which I engineered so that it would be on it since I wrote the list after I knew I was buying the sweater! It's my list, and I'll cheat if I want to...

I have to be dead honest with you, colour blocking was not something I ever thought I would get involved in. Neutral blocking maybe, but colour blocking? Well, I guess in its own small way this is how I can adapt colour blocking to my wardrobe, how I can take this trend head on and give it a little hannah-rose spin. I love the bulky, murky tones of the Alexander Wang cardigan, which is so big you could probably fit an extra person in there if you wanted, very handy on cold days. I like the fact that all these sweaters are colour blocking with neutrals - my favourite kinds of colours - lots of grey and black with just that little pop of colour to keep the eye trained. Mustard, blue, khaki, poppy red. Colour blocking or two-tone is the perfect update from the block colours of previous seasons, which means that you can keep old styles and just tweak them, subtly for the now. This idea is one that definitely applies to my wardrobe. Everything is a subtle tweak on what came before.

I think what I like most about my sweater is its slouch. I love the big sleeves that end at bracelet length (I think it should be mandatory that all clothes end at bracelet length, thoughts?) and I love that haphazard zig zag that runs across the front. It's not perfect, which makes it better, and it's a nice point of difference. This sweater is so big! Fantastic! That's exactly how I like it. You could make a risotto in this sweater, with the sleeves rolled up, sitting on a wooden stool with The Tree of Man or something in one hand and a slotted spoon in the other, stirring, stirring, stirring. I'm going to let you in on a secret, I think I judge all my clothing based on whether you could make a risotto in it. There are a surprising amount that fail this test. Okay. I'm ready for this sweater to arrive now. Mr Postman??

X

You have read this article alexa chung / alexander wang / celine / cold / knitwear / look books / mood / shopping / want / winter with the title blocks. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2012/01/blocks.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...