flour and stone



After first seeing Flour and Stone on one of my favourite tumblrs - and after getting over my fear of eating cakes that don't come from the patisserie at the foot of my street (what! french people just know how to make a croissant, okay) - I decided to cross William Street and venture into the canals of woolloomooloo in search of coffee and cookies and such things. I wasn't disappointed and I had a really lovely time talking to the shop girl about the merits of ginger in baked goods (I wanted to pass on the recipe for that amazing ginger cake I made the other day) and how we both needed to wake up properly (it was bright and early and my coffee was being made and I said "tray" instead of "bag", it was a little embarassing). 

I loved the relaxed, easy-going atmosphere of this tiny cafe, where the salesgirl ran out to give a customer some macarons so that he didn't have to leave his kids alone in the car and that she took the time to talk me through each of the cakes on offer, which ones were her favourite, and to warn me that in 15 minutes lamingtons would be coming out and I better brace myself for an onslaught of deliciousness. I left with some of their famous gingerbread and a buttermilk, chocolate and raspberry cake for my mum, and I'll definitely be going back again to try that Ginger Iced Tea and that famous fine apple tart. And maybe the carrot cake. And maybe the lamb pies. And maybe the sandwiches. And maybe the lamingtons.

Flour and Stone, 53 Riley Street, Woolloomooloo.

X
You have read this article australia / flowers / food / sydney with the title flour and stone. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2012/01/flour-and-stone.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...