the one






I wasn't even looking. I wasn't even trying. I was just having coffee and cake and a quick browse with Brooke ages and ages ago and we just happened upon bloodorange because, well, we were in Potts Point, and what were we supposed to do? Nestled amongst the racks of camel Carven shorts and Lover cashmere capes was a thing of beauty, a joy itself, all rich, can't-stop-staring-at-it French Navy and plisse pleats that weren't so much knife sharp as soft as butter, and a sweeping, floor length even when I stood on tiptoe to try and simulate being heel-clad and was backless and kind of, just a little semi-sheer. I don't even like dresses, but I loved this one. I didn't buy it - mostly because it was Alexander Wang and a lot of money and I was going overseas (remember that?). But oh! Then it went on sale! And then I started imagining how amazing it would look in pride of place at my 21st, and then I started thinking that I actually wanted to have a 21st after all, and suddenly the only girl in the world who doesn't like dresses or birthday parties was planning two of those things. It's funny because I never really got the whole 21st thing until I saw the dress I wanted to wear. And yes, my 21st isn't actually until December, and the naysayers are telling me that I'll change my mind before then, but I won't. They don't have this dress - this beautiful, beautiful dress - hanging up on their wardrobe door, and they're not staring at it every night and they weren't there when I tried it on for the first time in the shop and I couldn't quite believe it that there would be a dress that said everything I wanted it to say and looked exactly how I wanted it to look and that made me feel really, truly special. Remember me? I'm the girl who likes to wear suits and wore a skirt (albeit a very pretty one!) and tee shirt to her year 12 formal. But having this dress for the past 2 months or so has changed me. Maybe.

Besides, I'm a former girl scout. I like to be prepared.

X
You have read this article alexander wang / birthday / celebration / clothes / clothing / fashion / friends / me / party / style with the title the one. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2011/08/the-one.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...