update: hey, isabel!



1. A black fedora with a stiff, semi-wide brim, in felt. 
2. A pair of  navy blue and/or black linen pants, slightly oversized, tapered, possibly cropped
3. A loose, calf-length (at least), slightly oversized shirt dress in a material that breathes 
4. Delicate, fine jewellery - of all kinds - enjoying the various examples I have already (above I'm wearing a Delphine bracelet and my Jordy Askill pendant, plus my benah kodi cuff to balance it all out)
5. Something ridiculous and off-season because of the way that Australia gets the seasons out of whack but you have to have because it's so damn amazing, it's kind of like that inextricable desire - notes to a mouse and dead fleurette know what i'm talking about - for the alex wang sweater: the Isabel Marant Idea Coat (pictured here: jacket) mine mine mine!
 
 

So I picked up the Isabel Marant Idea Coat from my seasonal wardrobe planning list. It was a little bit naughty, but I'm glad I did because I literally haven't taken it off since. It's so perfect in so many ways - the sleeves roll up to reveal a little but of under-cuff, the pockets are deep enough for stuffing with, well, stuff, the cut swings out a little over tapered pants and long skirts. And the colour. Oh! The colour! Burgundy is definitely my obsession du jour. What with my raft of wine-coloured bags and a new-found obsession of almost vampiric lipstick, I'm deep in the throes of a bordeaux love story. It's not really a summer purchase, as I discussed when I was putting my wardrobe planning list together, but since it's cold now I'm actually getting use out of it. I love how it takes the colour of my Opening Ceremony swing coat and the cut of my Isabel Marant Ben Coat and combines them together for a lighter, more casual style. My Opening Ceremony coat is perfect for more dressy occasions, belted and cinched in it's like a coat dress on its own. This is unlined, a little looser, and much more easy to wear. It's been a perfect everyday coat for the first couple of weeks of universities.

I'm really happy with where I am in regards to my wardrobe at the moment. Even when I review the wardrobe planning list I'm not feeling the urge to shop as much. It's funny, I think I might even be going on a no-shopping ban soon, just to see if I can, just to try and save some pennies for the months and months of 21sts that are facing me as of September. I don't know... I look at the list that I made and, aside from the jewellery, I'm not feeling the desperate, desperate need. That's the siren call that I've promised myself I'll wait for. I heard it in regards to this jacket, and I've heard it about jewellery. But I feel like last season I bought a lot of beautiful, beautiful things and I'm still enjoying them. When I was overseas I also picked up a few goodies that I'm yet to fully appreciate. I don't think I need to buy anything at the moment, I just need to take a step back and objectively appraise my closet. I think something that's been helping my lack of desire to shop is the fact that I haven't been physically going into shops recently. The last two times were at the Acne store - where I was in dire straights and I had to get out of ASAP before I bought everything stripey in sight - and the Corner Shop where I was perusing the square Isabel Marant pendants in turquoise and navy. The latter is now a moot point; all sold out and out of my grasp for now. The stripey pieces are still beautiful, and I still love them, but I'm not feeling it yet. For me at the moment it's all about having beautiful meals with friends and buying flowers and paying off my computer. 

I think it's important have a little break from fashion. It's weird because I still want a hat, and a loose summer dress, but I've kind of realised that my silk maxi skirt serves a similar purpose, and in terms of navy pants, I have a pair that do the trick. My non-spending of late has forced me to re-evaluate my closet in new and exciting ways, and to pair things together in combinations that I would never have previously considered. In hot weather one of my favourite outfits to wear is my COS light sweater thrown over my Gary Bigeni maxi dress (like here). But I hated how I didn't have any jackets to throw on top. I've discovered how great my boring old work blazer is when added to this on top, something that came purely by accident as I pulled the wrong jacket out of my wardrobe. Similarly, my discovery of how great my shearling vest is underneath parkas has led to a revisit of that wardrobe staple - slightly forgotten in my renewed obsession with coats of late.

I don't know... There's not much point to this post. But I wanted to share something that has been really interesting to me. I've lost the compulsion to shop. I used to love doing it - last semester my favourite thing was to wander through on my way home from uni, getting ideas as I go. I'm sure I'll eat my words in a couple of months when I start posting about something I've seen that I'm obsessed with. But for now, I'm pretty content. I've crossed off something from my list and am enjoying the various examples that I have from another. As for the rest? Well, they can wait. I have a really lovely little wardrobe in front of me and I want to wear it all.

X
You have read this article benah / clothes / clothing / COS / isabel marant / jewelry / me / outfit / outfits / shopping / style / wardrobe with the title update: hey, isabel!. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2011/08/update-hey-isabel.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...