delicacy


For a while now I've been dreaming of a jewellery box full of delicate, dainty jewellery. Of Me&Ro necklaces, of jordy askill heart rings and little karen walker twists of silver and cord bracelets with beads hanging off and big, flat, round pendants like Ashley Olsen has by the barrelfull and those Stella Mac pendants that, when you twirled them, read out love, and anything from lagarconne.com really, and just a bunch of daisy knights little bracelets and oh. Wouldn't it be something just marvelous? The problem is, it takes a little while to get these things together. I mean, I've got a jordy askill pendant from a fantastic Lands End sale a while ago, and my new Tiffany Lock that I rarely take off and my Isabel Marant bracelet. But other than that my jewellery falls firmly, squarely and very much surely into the realm of more is more. If only the perfect jewellery collection could just materialise, fully formed, and I wouldn't have to go on this endless hunt for delicate little pieces of twisted metal (that invariably end up having not so delicate price tags). I just want some big, flat pendants! And some cord bracelets. And some cute little chain necklaces. And some very thin rings. Is that too much to ask? I'm about to go overseas and I can't spend any money at all, but if anyone wanted to buy this for me, I would love them forever. Really truly!

 I love how Rachel is on the same wave length as me. She just posted a studio visit she did with Tanja of PetiteGrand (Available from Incu and Mychameleon) and it's fantastic. All delicate little chains - and many of them, that's the problem with fine jewellery, there is a tendency to layer where you just physically can't with big chunky pieces, and so the propensity to need more and more and more is great - worn with such insouciance and ease. I love the necklaces with their tiny little charms, and the cord bracelets. The lesson here is never wear fine jewellery as if you are wearing fine jewellery, wear it as if you are wearing the oldest, most worn in, more beloved thing in the world - which really it should be, right? I am of the opinion that jewellery should have sentimental value. It doesn't necessarily have to be a gift, although some of my favourite pieces of jewellery have been gifts, and when they were lost or broken they broke my heart. They can be sentimental because you bought them for yourself at a significant part of your life, or because of what they represent for you. I still mourn my beautiful star bracelet from Fleur Wood, broken on a big night out in Melbourne. I bought it on a whim while buying a birthday present for a friend - it was on sale and I had looked at it months earlier, thinking it was too expensive. It was a bracelet made up of big links of the outlines of stars in really thing contrasting metal - silver and gold. That bracelet made me so happy! I had just finished exams and I was elated. I wish I could get it back - and get some of that exuberant energy back too. 

So I think one of my new season resolutions is to build up my fine jewellery collection. I'm going to go on the hunt for it in Paris and try and come back with at least a couple of bracelets and pendants. That's the plan, anyway!

X
You have read this article bracelets / jewelry / lands end / me / necklaces / photos / pictures / rings / style with the title delicacy. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2011/06/delicacy.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...