update #2



When I last left you I couldn't quite believe how well I was going with my winter shopping list. I managed to find all the items on my list - including a perennial scarf love that has eluded me all my life - and then some. I was steadily crossing off items and building both small staples and bigger more outlandish pieces for my wardrobe; winter or not. I had purchased the minty wang and some maxi skirts, as well as a shearling vest to add a touch of furry glamour to outfits. I was delaying purchase of the prism glasses and the pochette in favour of the benah mini kodi bag. Well, it is now officially winter in Sydney and thus winter shopping is over, and I can't quite believe this but I have finished my list. This has never happened before, normally when I write lists of things to purchase they end up remaining unsolved and with many gaps in them as I get sidetracked and off task. This did not happen here. My patience paid off and in the Belinda sale I purchased the prism frames I have desperately been coveting for a little while now - the New Yorks in matte black. They have the thinnest frame so as to offset any funky-fresh hipster vibes and are perfect on my face. I'm in love! I've also since purchased the benah mini kodi bag (as you well know) and received the benah cashmere basket weave scarf as a gift. Both these items have become staples in my winter wardrobe and have played such an important part in winter dressing recently. The ease with which that scarf can be casually wrapped around not once, not twice, but three times never fails to astound me. It takes my outfits from simple to parisienne in one flick of the wrist. 

I have to admit though, the desire to restrict purchasing hasn't quite gone to plan. I have made a few purchases that are outside the list, and although they are unnecessary I have to say they are nonetheless very much loved. A pair of lace up repetto ballet flats bridge the gap in my wardrobe between summer footwear and winter footwear. Though these were undoubtedly a want, they are also a need - my lack of sensible winter footwear is enough to make my mum's hair turn grey. Secondly was my nathan smith sweater, all chunky stitch and a wonderfully rich, warming colour. I have a weakness for knitwear and this one left me breathless. Completely out of the blue and without thought, but I'm glad I snatched it up because otherwise I would have missed out on what has become a major piece in my winter wardrobe. Thirdly, a pair of star print Isabel Marant Etoile linen pants that fit so well and are so comfy and aren't really a winter purchase at all, but I've worn to death. They've already started to stretch a bit and are perfect with k.jacques and my COS camel sweater tucked in on warmer days. And finally, this Zara leather bag with a ponyhair pocket. Me and Talisa both had eyes for it when Zara first opened, but I had to wait for them to restock for it to finally become mine. It has the elegance of the Cabas tote infused with a little rustic energy of the skin. I love it. What a perfect purchase that completes the void in my wardrobe for bags that aren't small frame. 

I guess the moral is, lists are all well and good, and they help to focus your desires. But sometimes you have to give into impulse because out of them may come the things that you truly need. I have made some great purchases this season and my wardrobe is starting to come together. Now, onwards to next season's planning, whose first kick is about to come when I am overseas and perusing the European sales!

X
You have read this article clothes / clothing / me / outfits / sale / shopping / winter with the title update #2. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2011/06/update-2.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...