finally

On Saturday, while sitting at my long kitchen table being very productive and writing my media law essay - I think the productivity had something to do with the fact that I shut off the internet - I noticed something. It was cold. Not just chilly, but cold. I was wearing my normal home outfit when I know people are or might be coming over - easy, comfy grey pants and an oversize tee shirt. And as I sat there, surrounded by text books and journal articles and hastily scribbled notes that I could barely read, I was struck by how cold it really was. This was Autumn, finally, finally come to pay a visit. And yes, I know that yesterday it was warm and steamy, and that the sun just would not stop shining come hell or high water, that hint on Saturday of crisp autumn chill was more than enough. It makes me excited for April and the easter break, it makes me excited for may and the falling leaves, and it makes me excited for June when real winter is going to rear its head, wrapped in thick chunky scarves (I think I found my perfect one from Benah, cashmere and snuggly, but it's a little expensive!!) and mannish coats. 

Transitional dressing is one of my favourite things. I have been told I do it well, if only because it involves layering like a pro, and I definitely do that well. Last year, around this time, one of my favourite things to do was wear 3 winter layers at once. I'd have a jumper or sweatshirt under a denim jacket under a short-sleeve coat, all belted so that I didn't lose any shape. I went one step further when going to my friend's farm in June - no heat, no water - with my khaki flack jacket replacing the denim one. Serious warmth was needed. I look forward to testing this out later with my new shearling vest and revisiting that old favourite of mine - the Opening ceremony coat. But for now, when it's just a little cold and not bone-chilling, It's all about the trans-seasonal layering. Think a couple of thing jumpers, a long skirt, and a furry vest to keep you warm. Or maybe cropped pants, a simple button down and a drapey cardigan. Still feeling cold? And a sleeveless coat. For shoes try out your favourite ballet flats, although it's not quite time to give the sandals a rest yet. I've even been breaking out my ankle boots - the true star of my recent european trip - with a calf-length jersey skirt, a swingy jumper and a classic blazer. It's all about loose layers that you can shed - or add - at a moment's notice. 

It does require a little more thought than winter. It's often not as simple as throwing a coat over whatever you're wearing, if only because it can sometimes not be quite cold enough for coats anyway. What you need are layers that are going to keep you warm without roasting you. This is the season when vests, cardigans, jumpers and sleeveless jackets earn their keep. Jackets too - the trench, the blazer, the denim - all come to the fore. This is about still clinging onto those summer pieces you love for the last couple of months, until you have to start wearing sensible clothes and coats. Oh, how I love it!

APC linen sweater // bassike mega wide tee shirt // prism glasses // repossi ring // mcQ scarf // ella moss skirt // me and ro bracelet // acne pistol boots // celine bag


 burberry trench coat // cacharel sweater // prism glasses // Bruce II pants // sigerson morrison flats // JW Hulme bag

 Rag and Bone jacket // acne sweater // prism glasses // leifsdottir skirt // alexander wang scarf // apc boots // Hans from Basel socks // PS1
Ines et Marachai Vest // Alexander Wang sweater // repossi ring // chloe marcie across the body bag // k.jacques sandals // miu miu cropped trousers

X
You have read this article autumn / clothes / clothing / cold / layering / me / outfits / polyvore / weather / winter with the title finally. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2011/04/finally.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...