so wrong it's right

streetpeeper


I remember being told very firmly as an impressionable teenager by fashion authorities - vogue, harpers bazaar, my mother - never, ever, ever to wear black and brown and cream at the same time. Rules like this were steadfast in their severity - there are some things that you just don't do, and this is one of them. The other, apparently, was wearing white shoes of any kind. I kind of see the logic in that one, but wearing black and brown and cream? This rule is one that I think was made to be broken. It's funny - these colours form the basis of my wardrobe today. There's the odd navy and khaki thrown into the mix, and every now and then I'll wear a bright colour just to keep everyone on their toes, but really I'm happiest in beautiful browns and buttery creams with a dash of neutral black to keep it simple. That's that. That Philip Lim coat from the first picture, all teddy-bear fluffy with that patchy shearling? I would wear that in a heartbeat, no question about it. And the ps1? Long time readers of this blog will know enough not to get me started on that subject. 

So why do I feel a little naughty whenever I wear such a colour combo? Because I'm transgressing fashion gospel - archaic and anachronistic though it may be, especially in the age of "individual style rules" - I'm being a badass MC rule breaker. You're just not supposed to wear black and brown and cream in such a clash-tacular way, no matter how wonderfully neutral they all look together, no matter good it makes you feel. You need to break up neutrals with colours, keep looks tonal, colour-block til your hearts content. Well, colour blocking may be a trend this season. But I much prefer my own brand - neutral blocking. I'm going to stick to neutral blocking my tans, my beiges, my creams, my charcoals, my navy blues and my greys. Because they look so good together. And that's that. 

X
You have read this article clothes / clothing / colour / fashion week / pictures / street style / style / wardrobe with the title so wrong it's right. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2011/04/so-wrong-it-right.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...