in the bag

Oroton Creative Director Ana Maria's crafty use of an A4 document holder as an ipad handbag


 Buyer for Belinda Chloe and her very chic Wendy Nichol drawstring bucket bag.


Dead Fleurette and her Balenciaga bag essentials.. she did tag me in this post, so I'm finally getting onto it!


There are books and books about how you can tell a woman by her shoes, her lipstick, her hair, her jewellery, but the original and still the best is how you can tell a woman by her handbag. Not just what she carries, but what is inside it - does she have books? what are they? what about pens? chewing gum? hairspray? sunscreen? old movie tickets? food? bandaids? and the list goes on. Someone more psychoanalystic than me would take great pleasure in outlining how carrying a freddo frog probably means that you still revel in the childish/adolescent things. But I think some people carry freddo frogs because they're tasty, and that's that. I personally think that the size of bags counts. Big bags usually means a lot of baggage - and not in the freudian way, either - just in terms of the physical amount of stuff that you can squeeze in there. Little delicate bags requires editing, big bags often encourage you to over-carry. That is, to take more things than you actually need. When I used to carry very big bags I was tempted to throw things in there just to "fill it up", spare DVDs (just in case I ran into a DVD player and TV when I was out? what!?), a couple of muesli bars, magazines, spare pair of shoes, a belt, etc etc etc. A small bag, such as the ones I use now, are much more conducive to a cleansed palette. And they don't hurt your shoulders as much.

I think it's funny how all three of the bags I have on constant rotation are small. My chloe marcie is probably the biggest of them all but she's not even that big - she's the smallest of the marcie family, and we all know how chloe likes big bags. I can only barely squeeze a book in there, which is my favourite thing to bring out and about, and have taken to carrying an extra tote bag sometimes just so that I can cart around my uni books etc. I don't mind doing that. I'm sort of past the days where everything has to fit in one bag. If I can only get the bare essentials into my bag then that's fine, I'll just take an extra - super cute - tote with me so that I can carry everything else. Does that sort of defeat the purpose of having a small bag? Maybe. But hey, it's my bag. I get to make the rules. 


look at my jil sander-esque bedspread! straight from ikea. gotta love them swedish. 


Benah kodi mini bag in red canvas with fawn leather trim, karen walker sunglasses, mimco pouch (because even my wallet won't fit in here!), diary and pen, phone, keys - with broken "H" keyring my brother bought for me with his own pocket money, the best lipstick ever ever ever Topshop Lips in Mink (the perfect neutral), The best lipbalm ever ever ever NARS Pure Sheer Lip treatment in Bianca (the Sabrina replacement), Diptyque Philosykos.
And that's that. Although of course, in my other bag, there's uni books, readers, a bottle of water, spare pair of shoes, muesli bars, magazines... What did I say about not carrying around excess crap? hmmm.. Maybe all us fashion people should do a post on "what in my other bag". That would be interesting indeed.

X
You have read this article bags / benah / fashion / oroton / style with the title in the bag. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2011/04/in-bag.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...