winter wardrobe planning

So, even if you can't quite tell because of the stifling heat (although today was not too bad), here in Australia we are gearing up for winter. At my magazine internship we are calling in all manner of snuggly capes, cashmere wool shorts and shearling booties, and it all seems like the time for rugging up can't come soon enough. I used to do some serious wardrobe planning before each season, but for last summer I didn't have enough time. As it turns out, I didn't actually even buy that much, other than an Etoile checked shirt and my k jacques sandals. I was saving for my trip overseas during which I rushed to COS and stocked up on classic basics (I have plenty of jumpers, thin tee shirts, and tapered pants to last me a lifetime) and didn't want to spend my money in Australia when I could, well, spend it in Paris. But when it comes to winter I know that even though I'm going overseas again - gosh you people must think me spoilt, but it's a family holiday, and I have to pay my own way always, and so it will not be a grand tour extravaganza like last time - I do have a few things to purchase. Because I will be overseas in June I guess I will miss some of the Australian winter. But the pieces I want and need transcend seasons and will become a part of my wardrobe as a whole.


1. A fur hat or stole or long gilet, something fur to add a touch of glamour to outfits.

2. A streamlined pochette or clutch

3. Ankle/calf length jersey skirt, maybe double faced, in khaki green, navy blue and brown. Fitted, not full or gathered. (I am pretty picky when it comes to my skirts, which I guess is why I wear the same one over and over again).

4. Prism glasses in London, crystal grey or tortoiseshell

5. An inextricable desire (thanks for the phrase Notes to a Mouse via  Fleurette) for this Alexander Wang sweater.

In terms of winter clothes I have to say that my wardrobe is pretty much complete. I have more than enough coats to last me a life time - the other day I lusted over a gorgeous mint green (what is it with me and mint green at the moment?) Rochas coat with contrast navy blue lapels and my friend told me to step away before I lose myself. It is true, I have a lot of coats and jackets. But I think these are the pieces that add interest to what is essentially my very casual wardrobe. I wear a lot of simple, calf-length jersey skirts with oversized, swingy jumpers up top and then make it all interesting with a variety of different coats - belted, oversize, man-style, swing, boxy, trench and the list really does go on. I hope my shopping list reflects the relative completion of my winter wardrobe. Aside from the perfect chunky scarf - I search and search and search and nothing has that stiffness of the wool that I crave - and Isabel Marant Bidou/Lacow etc etc boots that I know I will get someday, just maybe not right now, I'll get them - I am not really lacking in winter wardrobe essentials.

That's why I think these items will be essential to my wardrobe as a whole, and not just in winter. This is probably why there are so many accessories, comparatively. And why there's nothing on there that really screams winter. Sure, the fur is wintery, but it can also work well in autumn and spring over a light cotton voile blouse or tee shirt. The Alexander Wang jumper is a truly bizarre craving that I cannot really explain. I don't know why I like it so much, but it just intrigues me and I must, must, must have it. It is the real splurge item on the list (because of course, I won't end up with a Celine pochette no way!!). It represents the fact that sometimes, the best pieces of clothing are not the classics or the ones you know you should have - like white shirts and wide leg pants - but the ones that you really, truly love. I already know that I'm going to wear it to death. 

In regards to the skirts and the glasses, both of these reflect a view to permanent dressing. I know I'm only 20, but I've found the skirt shape that I love and suits me. I've been wearing long, calf-length skirts for a long time, and I'm going to keep on wearing them, no matter the way that trends ebb and flow. It's something about the languid, relaxed luxury feel of wearing long skirts, flat shoes, and swingy jumpers. It's simple but still cool. In summer they are cool and easy with tee shirts and sandals. In winter they work just as well with suede ankle boots and an oversized coat. The glasses are a need. I've broken my old, faithful oliver peoples pair, and having heard and seen good things about Prism, I want to take the plunge. 

I know that there is a gilet at sportsgirl that I like - it's got a longer line and a smoother fit than the one I currently have, and is probably more dressy than a cropped one. It's faux, which I guess is a good thing, and even though it's from a chain store, I probably wouldn't want to spend too much on this item anyway. The jersey skirts likewise - I'm thinking Country Road (where my favourite, favourite skirt ever is from) and Witchery (sorry for the Australian reference points here!). The Alexander Wang sweater has already been purchased. The glasses and the pochette are designer items that may or may not eventuate. I may treat myself to a pochette while overseas - the two tone Celine babies retail in the Europe for 250 euros, compared to the monstrous mark up price of $900 in Australia. But to be honest this is all so far down the track that the thought of hunting them down on hot and sweaty Parisienne summer days is giving me a headache. I try to be a good planner, I really do, but I think the problem with me is that I live in the moment. I can't think too far ahead, not when I have brand new Alexander Wang sweaters to be worn. 
X
You have read this article clothes / clothing / me / shopping / wardrobe with the title winter wardrobe planning. You can bookmark this page URL http://startthefire-cafagesta.blogspot.com/2011/03/winter-wardrobe-planning.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...